Thursday, February 27, 2014

A Lesson I Loved


I spent many years working in high schools prior to coming to Henley. Something that I noticed right away both as a teacher and an administrator was how much a solid art program and a caring art teacher meant to the school.  There were kids who lived for every moment they could spend in the art room--they were there before school, after school , during lunch--anytime they could find.  While our schedule is a little bit different in middle school, we still have kids whose lives would revolve around the art room if possible.  That’s why it warmed my heart so much to see Maureen Russell’s art students get started on a mural in the hallway outside of her room.  Maureen and I have spoken a few times about how much this project means to her kids.  They are showing up before school to work, wanting to complete their in class art assignments early to continue their work, and are incredibly proud of the addition they are making to the school.  And talk about talent--these kids have it!  I never caught the art bug myself, but was always amazed by the kids I knew who had those incredible talents that we’ve all seen in so many who have passed through our classes.  The kids who are working on this mural have great talent and great passion for art, but without a teacher like Maureen to fan the flames of that passion, they may have never gotten this amazing chance to express themselves.  I try to stop by the art hallway multiple times a day now, and each time I see a little more progress.  I hope that this is the first of many projects that will help us beautify the school through the talent of our students.


No comments:

Post a Comment